The foundation of all good dental treatment is a thorough comprehensive exam. Your first appointment will lay the groundwork for all future treatment and allows us to get an up-close view of your teeth, gums, mouth and jaw. This exam is more than just a cleaning, it is an “extensive evaluation and the recording of all extraoral, intraoral and soft tissues” as defined by the American Dental Association.
Some things to expect during your comprehensive exam:
- Evaluation of your dental and medical history and how these may relate to your oral health and treatment.
- Digital x-ray imaging and discussion of pathology present
- Assessment of oral hygiene and health of gums and surrounding tissue
- Oral Cancer Screening
- Examination of muscular and joint systems
- Removal of plaque, tartar and staining from surfaces of teeth
- Examination of all previous dental work
- Explain proper brushing and flossing techniques